You aren’t planning to throw away your furniture patio cushions just because they look dirty, are you? Follow our simple instructions and you will see how easy it can be to get your outdoor cushions looking like new again.
To instantly and with little effort turn your patio from dab to fab cleaning the furniture cushions should be the first thing on the to-do list.
The newer outdoor cushions available online and in brick-and-mortar stores, come with removable covers that you can simply throw into the washing machine, however if your cushions don’t have removable covers, you can still get them clean and ready for an entire season of outdoor fun. All you need are few tools and materials: vacuum, bucket, dishwashing detergent, sponge, warm water, borax, garden hose, scrub brush, towels and fabric protector spray. Here is how.
- Step 1: Use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum to remove any loose dirt and dust from the cushions. If your cushions are tufted, make sure to run the attachment slowly of the seams, crevices, and any buttons.
- Step 2: In a bucket of warm water, mix one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent. If there is mildew on your cushions, add ¼ cup of borax to the solution. With a sponge, generously apply the solution onto the cushions and let them soak for fifteen minutes.
- Step 3: If there are still some stubborn dirty spots after the soaking, apply a little more of the solution, and with a scrub brush carefully rub out the spots.
- Step 4: Rinse off the cushions thoroughly using a garden hose. Do not use a pressure washer for this as it may damage the fabric.
- Step 5: Wrap a towel around the cushion to absorb most of the water. Next, stand the cushion up to air-dry completely. To avoid mildew, make sure no moisture remains on the cushion.
- Step 6: Once your outdoor cushions are completely dry, spray them with a fabric protector. This will make the cushions resistant to dirt and stains from spilled drinks and foods. Moreover, this will ease your job easier at keeping your cushions clean for the entire season!
You should know that the easiest way to avoid complicated cleaning tasks, is to maintain your outdoor cushions on a regular basis. For that you need to brush your cushion surfaces on a daily basis to reduce the stains from visiting insects and plants debris. In case your cushions get soaked by an unexpected rain, turn them on edge to accelerate drying time. And do not forget to clean spills as soon as possible with a paper towel or clean rag.